As registered osteopaths, we are now free to start treating patients in-person, but this does require some changes to appointments to reduce the risk of viral transmission. It is not possible to completely eliminate risk, so if you are in, or living with someone in, a vulnerable group then the advice at the moment is to isolate and not come for in-person treatment. If you have previously been exposed to the SARS-Cov-2 virus and been symptom-free for 14 days, (particularly if you have had a positive antibody test) then we can probably see you, so please get in touch to discuss your specific circumstances. At Backs Etc. we are trying to take all sensible precautions to minimise the risk of transmission. However, given the nature of the virus, there is an inherent risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 by virtue of proceeding with treatment. Your attendance here will indicate that you are prepared to take that responsibility.
Having said that, the following new measures will be in place for the time being:
1. If you are feeling unwell with COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with someone such that you should be self-isolating, you must not attend the clinic until the quarantine period has passed. A video appointment may be appropriate as an alternative. A late cancellation fee will not be charged in these circumstances, but please do give as much notice as possible as with reduced patient capacity, late cancellations are hard to manage.
2. If you develop symptoms in the week following an appointment, please let us know ASAP as we may need to close the clinic as a preventative measure.
3. We are now open on Mondays with Joel, and Wednesdays and Thursdays with Sue. There will be a maximum of 5 appointments per day. Appointments will be scheduled with 20 minutes in between patients to air the room and to allow patients to avoid contact with each other. It is therefore essential that you do not arrive early. Also, if you are late we will not be able to go over the allotted time as we need the buffer space between patients.
4. Please do not bring anybody else with you to your appointment.
5. When you arrive, you will need to leave your shoes and any large bags downstairs in the hall and then wash your hands thoroughly before coming into the treatment room. Single-use hand towels will be provided.
6. There will no longer be fabric covers on the plinth, just disposable paper. The vinyl surface of the plinth will be disinfected between patients. You may want to dress in comfortable gym clothes for your comfort whilst allowing me good visual access to you. Also, we won’t be able to cover you in a blanket/ towel as this is an infection risk, so bring enough clothing to keep you warm.
7. We will be wearing disposable masks and aprons whilst treating you. For conversation before treatment begins, the aim is to sit mask-free more than 2m away, but a mask will be necessary when we get closer. You can bring your own mask, or we can provide one for £1.
8. Payment can either be done remotely or via the portable machine which will be disinfected between patients.
9. Bicycles can be left in the hallway during treatment. Also, whilst we are being encouraged to stay off public transport, we can provide a visitors parking permit to park in the residents parking for £6. There are also pay parking bays on Ferndale Road which you can pay with an app if you prefer. For details on metered parking, please refer to the Lambeth on-street parking guide.
10. Online video appointments, which have been running successfully, will continue to be offered for the foreseeable future. Please get in touch if you would like to take advantage of this option. Also, after an in-person session, we may decide that a video follow-up is more appropriate.
If you are interested in an in-person appointment please get in touch with any time requests and any questions you may have about the new procedures. Remember, at the moment slots are only available on Wednesdays and Thursdays with Sue and with Joel on Mondays. Also if you would like an 85-minute slot instead of the standard 55-min please indicate that in your email.
Obviously the situation with the virus and requirements we need to follow are subject to change as the situation develops. We will endeavour to keep you informed as we go along.