Will a Low-Carb Diet Shorten Your Life?
Last week, a new study was published in The Lancet that claimed to find that both very low-carb and very high-carb diets shorten our lifespan. Predictably, the mainstream media jumped on this finding without doing a shred of due diligence and we were subjected to splashy headlines like this:
- Low-carb diets could shorten life, study suggests (BBC News)
- Low and high carb diets increase risk of early death, study finds (CNN)
- Low-carb diet may cut years off life, study suggests (Newsweek)
- Your low-carb diet could be shortening your life (Fast Company)
- Paleo fail: meat-heavy low-carbohydrate diets can shorten lifespan, researchers say (South China News)
In this article, Chris Kresser breaks down the arguments, and in the process, points out many of the shortcomings of the study.
Read the full article, Will a Low-Carb Diet Shorten Your Life?